Overview and Objectives
Overview - What Will You Learn in This Lesson?
This lesson discusses what scale is and how it relates to understanding and interpreting natural phenomena.
At the completion of this lesson, you should be able to:
- Explain the meaning of scale in terms of grain and extent in space and time (Q 1-4)
- Explain why different patterns can emerge from different scales (Q 5)
- Differentiate between functional and observational scale (Q 6)
- Explain how processes at broad scales can constrain those at fine scales (Q 7)
- Explain how fine-scale processes can become broad-scale processes (Q 8)
This material is based upon work supported by the National Science Foundation under Grant No. DGE-1735362 and 1920938. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.