Walnut Creek Organic Ranch
Joe Mazour with Katie Caldwell from Sandy Creek High School
- Located in Deweese, Nebraska, Walnut Creek Organic Ranch fills a grass-fed beef niche in southeastern Nebraska. Joe Mazour, featured in this video, is carrying on sustainable traditions that his family initiated throughout the last couple generations. Farming 1400 acres, 1000 of which are pasture, his cropland and 107 Black Angus cows are certified organic and raised using rotational grazing.
- To discuss the beef industry and the niche filled by grass-fed beef
- To examine successful practices for raising livestock
- Aside from the mentioned health benefits, why might individuals look to purchase grass-fed beef? What niche does it fill?
- What things must be considered when ensuring animal welfare?
- How might Joe’s ranch be different if he only had livestock?
- Explain the cycling of nutrients when a mixed crop and livestock system is in use.
- Do you agree Joe’s description of advantages and disadvantages of grass-fed beef? Why or why not?
- How would you measure the sustainability of Walnut Creek Organic Ranch? What could be improved?