Objectives - Biotechnology Practice Applications
Upon completion of this lesson, nutrition professionals should be able to:
- Define functional foods and give examples of them.
- Recognize the potential for allergen removal from food.
- List three different types of genetically engineered products that could impact nutrition practice.
- Explain how biotechnology can be applied to food safety concerns.
- Identify how biotech vaccines could be beneficial.
- Identify current ethical concerns regarding biotechnology.
- Explain how allergen introduction could occur when biotechnology is used to transfer traits between plants/foods.
Development of this lesson was supported in part by USDA Initiative for Future Agriculture and Food Systems (IFAFS) and the Cooperative State Research, Education, & Extension Service, U.S. Dept of Agriculture under Agreement Number 00-52100-9710. Any opinions, findings, conclusions or recommendations expressed in this publication are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the view of the U.S. Department of Agriculture.