Objectives and Overview - Biotechnology and Allergenicity
This lesson discusses some of the issues that consumers experience following exposure to certain foods. This lesson will define and discuss food allergies, properties of food allergens, as well as the allergenicity of foods produced through agricultural biotechnology.
After completing Module Five: Allergenicity, participants should:
- Define a true food allergy
- Name three major food allergens
- Be able to recognize the mechanism of the IgE-mediated response to food allergies
- List a benefit of food produced through agricultural biotechnology in regards to food allergies
- List a concern of food produced through agricultural biotechnology in regards to food allergies
Development of this lesson was supported in part by USDA Initiative for Future Agriculture and Food Systems (IFAFS) and the Cooperative State Research, Education, & Extension Service, U.S. Dept of Agriculture under Agreement Number 00-52100-9710. Any opinions, findings, conclusions or recommendations expressed in this publication are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the view of the U.S. Department of Agriculture.