- Define physical, chemical, and biological weathering processes.
- Identify the factors of soil formation.
- Describe how soil forming factors may interact to produce different soils.
- Identify and describe the main soil horizons.
- Use a map to identify the soil order at a particular geographic location.
- Given the soil order at a specific geographic location, identify the soil forming factors that influenced soil formation.
This lesson was developed by Martha Mamo, Timothy Kettler, and Dennis McCallister at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln; Jim Ippolito at Colorado State University; Ron Reuter at Oregon State University; Christoph Geiss at Trinity College-Connecticut; and William Zanner at the University of Minnesota. Development of this lesson was supported by the National Science Foundation Course, Curriculum, and Laboratory Improvement Program (NSF-CCLI), Award Number DUE-0042603. Any opinions, findings, conclusions or recommendations expressed in this publication are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the view of NSF.