Conducting a MAS program
The basic procedure for conducting MAS with DNA markers is as follows:
- Extract DNA from tissue of each individual or family in a population.
- Screen DNA samples via PCR for the molecular marker (SSR, SNP, SCAR, etc.) linked to the trait of interest.
- Separate and score PCR products, using an appropriate separation and detection technique.
- Identify individuals exhibiting the desired marker allele.
- Combine the marker results with other selection criteria (e.g., phenotypic data or other marker results), select the best fraction of the population, and advance those individuals in the breeding program.